Before you start, be sure that:
- You are using supported hardware - see hardware compatibility
- You have access to an existing wireless network through an internet-connected modem or router.
- You have a Nokia WiFi supported device with its power cable and an Ethernet cable.
- A smartphone running the Nokia WiFi app is connected to your existing wireless network.
Important: If you have an existing router or modem/router combo you will need to disconnect your existing router (or turn off the router function on your modem/router combo) to avoid issues with 'double-NAT'.
Setting up your network
- Open the Nokia WiFi app on your phone.
- Accept permission for “Nokia WiFi” to find and connect to devices on your local network.
- Accept permission to receive notifications regarding alerts, sounds and icon badges.
- If the network is already setup (without using the app and/or by a technician) and this is the first time you are using the app, be sure your mobile phone is connected to a WiFi network and tap Get Started to set up the network with the app.
- Follow the instructions to select and scan the QR code on the root device. The root device is connected to modem. If you do not wish to use the camera or your device does not have a QR code, follow the steps to manually enter the information.
- After identifying the root device with the app, you will then see guided setup instructions that show you how to connect your device to the network.
- Go to mobile Wi-Fi settings and connect to the Nokia WiFi network. The default password has been copied to your clipboard. Tap Join.
- Tap I’m connected.
- After setup is completed, the app starts looking for and connecting to the root device.
- After the root device is found, accept the permission to use Bluetooth.
- If you do not wish to use your location, tap Continue without location. Without location permission, the app will not be able to connect automatically to your network and network information will not be accurate.
- If you do not wish to use your camera, tap Continue without camera. Your connection will be established. Tap Next. Go to step 13.
- If the connection is not good, tap Reposition gateway and follow the steps to reposition the device.
- If needed, tap Positioning tips to see the tips on how to position the device.
- If the connection is not great, tap Reposition gateway and follow the steps to reposition the device.
- Some instances of Nokia WiFi do not include account setup (registration) (this varies bases on your internet provider). In these cases, to sign into the mobile app, the credentials on the bottom of the root Beacon should be used.
- Each home network can only have one account (email address) linked to it.
- A second home network can be setup using the same mobile app installation, but you will need to log out of one network and log in to the second network. A different email address needs to be used to create the second account.